The Hunger Games ~ Suzanne Collins

Hooray for Rez Reads...those 20 minutes over the last few days got me hooked on this AMAZING book by Suzanne Collins... The Hunger Games.

You know that feeling you get when watching a really suspenseful TV episode or movie (occasionally, when I'm watching them on DVD, I hit pause so I can catch my breath!)...I had that same feeling with this book. Within a chapter or two I was completely hooked (and stayed up WAY too late reading). The characters are great, it's completely action-packed but very smart/thought-provoking at the same time.

Imagine this...every year, 2 young people from a District (think city/region) are "nominated" (i.e. forced) to "play" in the Hunger Games - basically a wilderness survival/fight to the death...and if you live, you win! And, the whole thing is televised....it would be like watching Surivor, only instead of voting people off the island, the survivors would be killing each other. BRUTAL.

Somehow, in the midst of this thrill-ride, the author manages to develop real characters that you're rooting for - and even throws in a bit of romance.

My only complaint...it continues in a second book, THAT HASN'T BEEN PUBLISHED YET! It comes out on September 1st...and I promise to have it here in the library for the first day of school! I'm going to fill out my Rez Recommends form...and it's getting a 5 out of 5, for sure!

No comments: