One Red Paperclip

I know! I think I'll buy myself a house...with a paperclip. Sounds crazy, right?! Well, with a little bit of creativity, the help of "craigslist" and a whole lot of media hype, Kyle MacDonald did just that.

"One Red Paperclip: or How an ordinary man achieved his dream with the help of a simple office supply" retells the true adventures of Kyle MacDonald - an unemployed dreamer who decided to see how far he could "trade up" - starting with one red paperclip. He posted the paperclip on craigslist, saying he wanted to trade for something "bigger or better"...and continued to swap items until eventually he ended up with a house!

Not only is this a fascinating idea, but the book is a GREAT read. Kyle is very funny and sarcastic, the people he meets and trades with (from all across North America) are odd and quirky (and sometimes famous!!), and it's inspiring to see what one person can do with a dream and the right attitude.

I LOVED this book. It made me smile and reminded me that there are a lot of really cool, smart, good people in this world.

Grab a copy from a library (381.142 MAC) or bookstore - it will be a great summer read. And maybe it will inspire you to dream up your own big idea!

No comments: