Wintergirls ~ Laurie Halse Anderson

I know I've been slow in posting this summer, but I needed to write about this book.

Laurie Halse Anderson is one of the best YA authors out there. And Wintergirls is simply brilliant. It's also one of the best - and most disturbing - books I've ever read that deals with eating disorders.

Two best friends descend into a deadly spiral, as they starve themselves in a quest to become the skinniest. When Cassie dies, Lia is left to cope still wants to fade away, and is haunted by the memories of her friend and her own demons.

It's dark, and haunting, and - like its title implies - sharp and icy. I actually felt a little queasy while reading it...only a powerful, honest novel can elicit that kind of reaction.

I'm positive it will be a multi-award winner this year. If you can't wait til September to read this one, the KPL has multiple copies.

No comments: