The Luxe ~ Anna Godbersen

This novel felt like Pride and Prejudice meets Gossip Girls. It had all of the detail, description, and mannerisms of a classic historical novel, transporting you to end-0f-the-nineteenth-century New York City. But, layered on top of this was the added intrigue of gossip, hidden romances, back-stabbing, and deception.

I was slightly disappointed with The Luxe, however. It seemed like the entire 430+ page novel was merely setting up the sequel. And for the first 200 pages, I wasn't sure I'd even want to read it! There was something about the characters that didn't sit well with me…I was supposed to feel sympathetic to the heroine, but I didn't really like her (until near the end of the novel). And the characters I did like, were in love with people that I found annoying.

However, the more I read, the more I enjoyed it. And I'm hoping the sequel, Rumors, will develop the story, and characters, further.

No comments: