Wicked Lovely ~ Melissa Marr

I'm in a fantasy/magic phase for my summer reading. Like City of Bones, Wicked Lovely takes place in a current-day urban setting...but this book felt much more "magical" to me - less gritty (although it had suspense and thrills galore!) and more faerie tale.

Aislinn can see faeries, who live among us but are usually only seen when they put on glamours, to appear as humans. Aislinn, however, can see them all the time. But these faeries are dangerous, mischevious, and generally like to create havock for humans.

The Summer King, Keenan, is searching for his Summer Queen to try and defeat the Winter Queen, Beira...but unless the girl he chooses is destined to be this queen, she is consumed by the chill of the Winter Queen's staff...no matter how much he loves the girl. Keenan meets Aislinn and her life forever alters...her mortality begins to fade as she must decide what her future holds.

I loved the slightly unexpected ending that sets it apart from a typical faery tale...and I've put the next book in the series "Ink Exchange" on hold at the library. This series would also fit perfectly on the "Magic in the Real World" list.

I also think this would make an amazing movie! Here's a question for you...after you've read Wicked Lovely, who do you think would be great to star in the movie version? Send me your dream cast (for the characters of Aislinn, Keeran, Seth, Dania and Beira) in the comments or by email.

3 comments:

mary shelagh ferguson said...

I think I might actually be in love with Seth. Really.
No, seriously, this is one of the best urban fantasies I've read, and I've been around the block.
The story was refreshing, and the characters were interesting and multidimensional. I liked that each character had a good and bad side too them, and that nobody was demonized as "only evil".
This is most definitely something I'd recommend to all my friends.

Ms. Martin (aka Rez's Librarian) said...

I just started reading Ink Exchange...and it's every bit as good!

mary shelagh ferguson said...

I think the woman playing Nora in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist would make a good Aislinn. Kat Dennings, I think her name is.
She's got that tough, slightly smartass look to her.